What to do in Cairns?
You can’t miss going to the Esplanade Lagoon when you are in Cairns. I went there several days in a row, just to chill in the saltwater pool and soaking up the sun ☀ on the grass 😎
- There are no beaches in Cairns (and you won’t be able to swim around the harbour either) so the best is to get a bus or cycle to Holloway beach. Cycling will take an hour each way (that’s what I did 💪🏻) the road is flat all the way and the scenery is awesome! Perfect for a day out! Consider a bus or renting a car if you are going to further beaches. Here is a link to the whole list of beaches around Cairns.
Tropical Queensland has loads of crocodiles! And they install nets for you to swim into… do that and don’t adventure outside those nets… I’ve heard scary stories 😱
- If you can’t dive or don’t know how to swim and therefore won’t be enjoying the reef to the maximum, I know a place perfect for you! The Aquarium of Cairns opened in September 2017 and you’ll see the real Nemo there !! A ticket will cost you AUD42 (€26/£24/$33) for an adult and it is open everyday! 😉 🐠 🐟
- Cycling 🚴♀️ is also a great activity in Cairns with clear cycle paths everywhere! That was my way of transportation all my time in the city! And that helped burning those calories of ice cream 🍦 too!! 🤣
- Save yourself some time to spend in the Botanical gardens. Get there cycling, driving or bus (🚌 #131)! There a different sections there such as Freshwater or Saltwater Lakes, different type of gardens (aboriginal garden, Flecker garden). I personally enjoyed the Watkins Munro Martin Conservatory which is a closed space. Inside you’ll find butterflies, carnivores plants and other amazing tropical plants!!
- One of my very first trip I did when I was in Cairns and it will be covered in another post was snorkelling at Great Barrier Reef but you can dive there too! 😉
See the wet tropical rainforest
- Discover a whole new world by taking a ride on sky rail 🚃 just outside Cairns. This is a day to remember and I’ll tell you all about it in another post – you’ll get some great tips here and avoid te crowds so stay tuned! 👍🏻
- Around Cairns and in the tropical forest are a lot of waterfalls! Visit one or more!! Some are a bit dangerous to access and others are really easy… you’ll find out in another post coming soon! 😎
- And, do you want to see some real crocodiles? 😱 Head to the Daintree Forest!! I have seen some dead ones in shops and tried crocodile (when I was still a meat eater) in Kenya 🇰🇪… not a fan of this animal so I avoided meeting them alive 😝